Mathematical Software Analyst
(Remote in Canada & USA)
Join an industry-leading team of innovators and tight-knit community with a passion for challenge and the drive to match. We “go long” on our investment in growth opportunities for our employees. We also champion a culture balancing professional and personal lives as we recognize that for us, long-term success is dependent on driving sustainable engagement.
What We’re Building
Global IQX provides configurable employee-benefits software for the group, life and health insurance industry. Our end-to-end solution is used by brokers, sales associates, underwriters, actuaries, managers, policyholders and more to streamline their quoting, rating, proposal generation, renewal, document management, onboarding and enrollment processes. It offers power and flexibility with a complete range of components that are highly configurable for custom business needs, and can seamlessly integrate with other systems and applications.
As a member of our Rating team, the Mathematical Software Analyst is responsible for implementing actuarial formulas in our application. They work with our clients’ actuaries and underwriters to understand and refine the algorithms used to calculate claim and premium rates; they design an implementation of those algorithms within the framework of our software; and then they code that design using our custom MATH programming language, along with other elements of our Java-based software infrastructure. They also test and monitor the rating for accuracy, fast performance, and maintainability.
This role has considerable room for self-direction and growth; you will have the opportunity to help determine your own responsibilities and trajectory within the company.
- Work directly with our clients to understand and document insurance rating formulas in the form of spreadsheets, code, and written documentation
- Work with our Business Analysis and Core Development teams to refine rating algorithms and design their implementation in our software
- Program, test, and optimize rating formulas and algorithms
- Develop knowledge of actuarial operations and the insurance business, including rating and formula handling, underwriting, and product development
- Analyze problems and work closely with both internal and external stakeholders to develop solutions
- Make recommendations to management regarding timelines and best practices
- Work collaboratively with the entire Global IQX team to continually improve processes
- University degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Actuarial Science, or a related field
- Equivalent skills gained through work experience may also be considered
- Experience with Java and the Eclipse IDE
- Fluency in Microsoft Excel spreadsheets and formulas
- Strong mathematical, logical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Proactivity and self-motivation
- Inquisitiveness and ability to learn quickly
- Experience with VBA and/or functional programming
- Completion of first-level SOA/CAS actuarial exams
Please specify the position title in the subject line of your email and submit your resumé in Microsoft Word format, identified with your full name (e.g. JohnSmith.docx). No phone calls please.
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Global IQX’s accessibility policies. Applicants should make their needs known in advance.